Sunday, June 2, 2013

Everyday Adventures in Haiti

I love being in away from home for long enough that you start doing everyday things. No matter how mundane, the activities typically turn into adventures. While living in Romania, doing laundry lead to one of the strangest dinner dates of my life – a tight-fitting male fishnet shirt was involved.   


This week, in Haiti, my everyday adventures were going for a run and getting a pedicure. The run reminded me in many ways of the advertisements for Tough Mudders, without the registration fee or the excessive drinking. My house, here in Arcahaie, is in the middle of a banana plantation and less than a mile from the ocean. This provides for great views but several running challenges. The irrigation canals in the plantation set even, but inconsistently sized hurdles. The barbed wire separating plots was cleverly disguised at a decent pace. And the animal waste was voluminous. I returned with two barbed wire cuts, a health covering of mud on my legs and a great sweat. A memorable run, but I may try a different trail next time. We left our shoes outside so we didn’t track mud everywhere and our amazing housekeeper thought we wanted them cleaned. She magically made them look nicer than when I bought them.


Yesterday, Mike and Alliance needed to get haircuts and I decided to accompany them to market mostly to enjoy the air conditioning at the barber. But, when we got there, we realized they did pedicures and I decided to give my mosquito bite covered feet a treat. The Haitian women that were getting pedicures alongside me made fun my shoes. Keens, though practical for rocky, uneven terrain, are truly troubling on the eye. They also asked me how much a pedicure in the states costs. They were shocked that we pay $20, since the grand total for mine yesterday was $2.50. Besides this conversation, the experience was very similar to a pedicure back home. Due to the language barrier, either silent or the workers talking among themselves, perhaps about you.


No comments:

Post a Comment